Wednesday, November 8, 2017

2 months!

Oh my goodness! 2 months since I last wrote???? I was sure I was doing better than that! Here is my reason/excuse for what it is worth.

In September I went to Ethiopia for 2 weeks and when I got back at the beginning of October we were in the final stages of making plans for 2 people to visit for one week and that week was a BUSY one! Then 3 days after the visitors left, we left for a quick 2 1/2 weeks trip to the States and arrived back in Juba on Nov. 4.

So, how are we?? Besides being tired really not to bad. It was good to come back to where it is warm since Ohio was cold and rainy our last week there. It was good to see some of you and Brandon Leatherman, I am sorry I did not get to meet you for coffee - please forgive me. :)

We were in the States for Sudan/South Sudan Mission network meeting in Kentucky and it was a good time. It is always nice to get together with people who are actively involved in the places we live and work. I will admit that I was a bit overcome with all the political talk but I also learned some things and made some new connections that will last a long time.

We arrived back to Juba with word that things were tense because of the former Head of Military being under house arrest and some of his supporters were threatening to take him out by force. Well, things are not as bad as we first thought but there is a lot more military around that mans house and it is on one of the main roads in town so it is interesting driving by there like we did today.

Can you believe that we have been here for 3 years now? It is hard for me to believe it. It is funny how this feels like home in many ways and in other ways Ohio is home. I wonder how it will be to live in the States again? No we are not, retiring yet but I think of these things since we are back in the States so often. I get how it was hard for my dad to leave Africa.

I was asked why we would extend our time here when at times we seem unhappy. We are not unhappy, but at times we are stressed and that is when I seem to sound off the most. I am going to try and show the positives things and this is one of them. Today Lynn and I sat in a meeting with the Moderator, General Secretary and Treasurer of the Church and had a very open and honest discussion. It was so good to be able to have this kind of talk about so many different things and to feel like we really are a part of the church here in South Sudan. It is good to be getting to the point of really feeling a friendship with these men - one where there is give and take on both sides.

We are often asked for financial help that we cannot give but we can give of our time and energy and it is by doing this that we develop real relationships. Sometimes people just need to know that you care enough that you will spend time with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment