Thursday, April 23, 2015

Easter

Our first Easter in Juba. I had great expectations for this Easter. I told Lynn I wanted to go to an English speaking service so I could actually understand what was being said. We normally go to an Arabic service to try and hear more Arabic and learn some new words. Of course, this Sunday, the buses took forever to fill up ( they are about a 14 seater van) and they will not go until they are full! So, we were late for church but when the service goes 2 hours that is not all bad :). We got in on some of the singing, all of the announcements, more singing and then it was 10:24 and the service is supposed to end at 10:45 (there is another service at 11) and we still needed to have the sermon and communion! The preacher preached fast and we quickly had communion and as the last person received the wine we were dismissed. It was not how I envisioned our Easter being but it was ok. It reminded me that Easter and any other service at any time of year, is what you make of it. I can decide to worship no matter what the situation and make it a meaningful time for me. I can always go home and listen to the music I want to hear, read the scripture I want to and meditate on the Glory of God. It is what we make it. So, while it was not what I had in mind for Easter Sunday, it was still a time with other believers and a time to reflect on what Easter means to me.

We are enjoying cooler temperatures these days - only 88 - 95 with rain about 4 times a week. It is overcast most every day which really helps when out walking around. I have been getting up early and going for a walk while it is still cool. I have been amazed at how many people are out running in the morning and they are not all expats! It is kind of fun to see the city coming awake at 6:30 in the morning. Mind you, I think the guards here at the apartment think I am crazy but, oh well.:)

We are still having trouble with getting a language helper. We do have one that we meet with once a week and she is really helping us, but the others have wanted WAY to much money so we are not sure what to do now. I will be starting work next week at the church offices just because I need to be doing something and since language is not happening I may as well get to work. I will be helping the Treasurer with learning how to do reporting of funds received and spent. We will both be learning a new program so this could get interesting! I will also be working with the General Secretary of the Church helping with anything he needs help with. These men both speak English so that will not be a problem but working in a small room with no air conditioning or even fans will be ....interesting.

Things here in Juba have been quiet but in other areas there has been fighting again. In the Malakal area ( where I lived until I was 4 ) there has been fighting again this week(and just about every week).
There is still uncertainty about what may happen between the two leaders here and so people are edge. All anyone wants is peace!

Lynn continues to be doing well. He is back to his normal, ornery self. It is interesting that while we were in Nairobi for Lynn's kidney stones, the General Secretary of the Church went to Khartoum with the same problem and then Lynn's mother had a kidney stone! Who knew that Lynn could be such a trend setter:)

Ok, enough rambling for this time! We miss all of you and love hearing from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment